Name transfer of Electricity Connection


If a consumer wants to transfer the name of his electrical connection to one of his family members, then what document will be required. Similarly, if the consumer in whose name the connection was, dies, then in such a situation, what document would be required to transfer the name, it has been told in this article.

A connection would be transfer from one person to another in the following cases

1- the death of the consumer

2- transfer of ownership of premises

3- change of occupancy of the premises


First of all, the consumer has to pay the processing fee to the electricity department. then after the consumer has to fill the application form for name transfer and submit supporting documents for name transfer. Document required may be different for a different type of case. Which is described as follow-


a-If a consumer sells his land to another person. And the other person wants to transfer the connection in his name, ie if the other person has bought the land and who has a registry on the land, to transfer the connection in the name of the same, then the documents will be required. 

  1. Paper of land Registry 
  2. An affidavit in which the consumer will be responsible in case of any dispute. 
  3. NOC certificate on 10 rupee stamp paper from the person who was purchased by the land. 
  4. NOC certificate on 10 rupee stamp paper from who was sold the land. 
  5. No dues certificate / full payment bill receipt so that there is no arrear of the department on the land. 

b-If the consumer who had the connection dies. OR in case the consumer death

  1. Death certificate 
  2. Affidavit of his legal heir of the land, in which the cause will be described.
  3. The NOC certificate’s connection should be given to them by the remaining persons of the family. 
  4. no dues certificate/ full payment bill receipt, there is no arrear of the department.
As per Supply Code, 2005 of UPPCL

(a) A connection shall be transferred in the name of another person upon the death of the consumer or in case of transfer of ownership or occupancy of the premises, upon an application of the consumer.

(b) Application for mutation shall be filed, in the standard formate, along with prescribed fee by the transferee or the legal heir or successor of the deceased consumer with the local office of the Licensee.

(c) The application shall be accompanied by documentary evidence of transfer or legal heirship or succession and proof of no arrears on account of electricity charges on that connection.

(d) The Licensee shall decide the mutation case within 21 days. If the mutation application is allowed, intimation shall be sent to the applicant along with information regarding pending dues against the connection and the formalities that are to be completed for transfer to take effect. 

(e) However, if the mutation application is to be disallowed and mutation is refused the orders shall be passed only after the applicant has been allowed to present himself, by a speaking order. Provided further, that in the case where the mutation is not allowed, the transferee seeking the transfer, may agree to continue the connection in the old name (but not in case of consumer’s death), or may have the choice to seek permanent disconnection and apply for a new connection.

(f) The transferee or the legal heir shall submit a fresh agreement, in the prescribed format, along with pending dues, if any, within 30 days. The transfer shall be affected and a copy of the agreement shall be sent to the consumer within 7 days.

(g) In the case of PTW consumers, suo-moto mutation may be undertaken after taking the report from the Government revenue department. However, the legal heir shall be responsible for clearing the electricity dues and shall submit an affidavit to this effect.

6 thoughts on “Name transfer of Electricity Connection”

Leave a Comment