Unauthorized Use of Electricity
If any person is caught in electricity theft or involved in unauthorized use of electricity then penalty or assessment shall be calculated by considering section 126 of electricity act 2003.
Section 126 | Unauthorized Use of Electricity, of the electricity act what says, is described in below para.
Section 126: (Assessment)
(1) If on an inspection of any place or Premises or after inspection of the equipment, gadgets, machines, devices found connected or used or after inspection of records maintained by any person, the assessing officer comes to the conclusion that such person is indulging in unauthorized use of electricity, he shall provisionally assess to the best of his judgment the electricity charges payable by such person or by any other person benefited by such use.
(2) The order of provisional assessment shall be served upon the person in occupation or possession or in charge of the place or premises in such manner as may be prescribed.
(3) The person, on whom an order has been served under sub-section (2) shall be entitled to file objections, if any, against the provisional assessment before the assessing officer, who shall, after affording a reasonable opportunity of hearing to such person, pass a final order of assessment within thirty days from the date of service of such order of provisional assessment of the electricity charges payable by such person.
(4) Any person served with the order of provisional assessment, may, accept such assessment and deposit the assessed amount with the licensee within seven days of service of such provisional assessment order upon him:
(5) If the assessing officer reaches the conclusion that unauthorized use of electricity has taken place, the assessment shall be made for the entire period during which such unauthorized use of electricity has taken place and if, however, the period during which such unauthorized use of electricity has taken place cannot be ascertained, such period shall be limited to a period of twelve months immediately preceding the date of inspection.
(6) The assessment under this section shall be made at a rate equal to 1 [twice] the tariff applicable for the relevant category of services specified in sub-section (5).
Explanation.–For the purposes of this section,–
(a) ―assessing officer‖ means an officer of a State Government or Board or licensee, as the case may be, designated as such by the State Government;
(b) ―unauthorized use of electricity‖ means the usage of electricity–
(i) by any artificial means; or
(ii) by a means not authorized by the concerned person or authority or licensee; or
(iii) through a tampered meter; or
(iv) for the purpose other than for which the usage of electricity was authorized; or
(v) for the premises or areas other than those for which the supply of electricity was
How to calculate assessment in case of Section 126 | Unauthorized Use of Electricity
To know how to calculate assessment in case of theft and unauthorized use of electricity
read the following article-